What is Consignment?
Consignment is the process by which we sell your furniture in our location, while you still maintain ownership of the goods. “Consignment” simply means “we sell it on your behalf”.
Consignment furniture doesn’t mean it is heavily used and it doesn’t mean it’s old. Many of the items at Trading Places are nearly new and can still be found in retail stores. Trading Places only accepts the best quality furniture with styles that appeal to a large number of customers. We do not accept junk!
Why should I consider Consignment?
Are you downsizing, relocating or redecorating? Do you have wonderful things in your home that you no longer utilize or that fit into your home’s current design scheme? Trading Places is the perfect place to showcase your items for others to purchase and enjoy. We will stage, advertise and market your items in our exciting showroom in order to give maximum visibility to a large number of buyers and ensure a quick and profitable sale of your goods.
Consignment with Trading Places is Simple…Safe…Smart…Sensible…!
What do you accept on consignment? What is the criteria?
- Original / Framed / Decorator / Canvas
- Metal and iron wall hangings
- Home Décor (Minimum retail value of $25)
- Decorative accessories
- Decorator Rugs (5x7 or 8x10 only – select items only)
- Holiday (Seasonal)
- Small accent furniture
- This is a sample list, call for more information
- Bedroom furniture
- Beds, daybeds, bunk/loft bed, dressers, nightstands.
- Living Room furniture
- Sofa, loveseat, sectional chaise lounge, recliner, tables, chairs, ottomans
- Dining Room furniture
- Table and chairs, server/sideboard, china cabinets, pub table
- Home Office
- Desks, credenza, decorative file cabinets
- Accent Furniture
- Barstools, decorative chest, curio cabinet, bookcase, baker’s rack
- Outdoor Furniture (Seasonal)
- Upholstered furniture
- Age: 5 years or younger preferred. Mature pieces will be considered and accepted based on brand, style, color and condition.
Trading Places accepts quality furniture in nearly-new condition (an 8 to 10 on a 10-point scale). Merchandise must be clean and ready to be presented for resale. The better is looks, the better it sells!
- Upholstered and Leather Furniture
- Should be vacuumed on top of and under cushions
- Free of rips, stains, tears, worn upholstery
- Free from discoloration from sunlight or inconsistency of fabric
- Smoke free/ Odor free/ Free of pet hair
- Cushions should have little to no indication of sagging or lack of shape.
- Stable construction
- Hard Goods (Tables, Bookcases, Bedroom furniture, etc…)
- Dust and cob web free.
- Free of watermarks and discoloration.
- Free of major scratches, chips or other noticeable flaws.
- No broken or missing hardware pieces. Drawers and doors must operate properly.
- Hardware for items that are not pre-assembled must be in a plastic sealed bag and labeled appropriately.
- Legs and frame must be sturdy
* There will be a quality inspection of your pieces upon arrival at the store prior to final acceptance for consignment. We reserve the right to decline any items that do not meet our quality standards. A cleaning fee of $25 may be charged if an item requires excessive dusting or cleaning prior to displaying.
Are there items that you DO NOT accept on consignment?
WE DO NOT ACCEPT:
- Chandeliers (hard-wired fixtures)
- Commercial office furniture
- Entertainment centers
- Exercise equipment
- Glass top dining tables, end table, coffee tables (selective)
- Lacquer furniture
- Lamps without shades or with yellowed/damaged shades
- Particle board furniture
- Small ‘knick-knacks’
- Textiles (Draperies, linens, bedding, clothing)
- Unframed art, faded prints, art with dated matting or framing
- Victorian style seating
- Items with missing or broken hardware
- Items in need of repair, cleaning, refinishing or re-upholstery
- Furniture with water stains or noticeable scratches on the primary surfaces
All furniture sold at Trading Places must be pre-approved and scheduled. Click on our Online Consignment Request Form to get the pre-approval process started. Please allow a minimum of 72 hours for a response.
Home Décor does not require pre-approval but does require a scheduled appointment window during consignment hours. Please submit a Consignment Appointment Request to secure an appointment window.
Monday – Friday: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday/Sunday: By appointment
- Submit a Request:
Online – Fill out our online “Consignment Request Form” and describe the items that you would like to sell. Please include an accurate description along with notes on the condition of each item. Attach at least one photograph per item listed, multiple views preferred.
Email – Requests emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org will also be accepted. If necessary, you may bring photos into the store on a digital camera or as hard copies. Please call in advance to ensure that the proper personnel are available to review the request.
In-Home – A site visit may be appropriate and will be assessed using the following criteria.
- Pre-disclosure of condition, style and age of the furniture
- Large consignments, greater than 12 pieces of furniture or 3 full rooms.
- Subject to Owner discretion and approval; not guaranteed.
Please allow up to 5 days for us to review and respond to your consignment request. If your request is urgent, feel free to contact our store at (614)717-9221 to expedite your request.
We will review your request and photos to determine if we have a demand for those items from our customer base, in addition to when floor space will be available to accommodate your furniture. You will receive a response from us with an approval, request for additional information and/or communication regarding scheduling an appointment.
Please note that our customer’s buying patterns dictate what we bring into the store on consignment. We will always do our best to recommend an alternative selling solution should your furniture not be a good fit for our store. There is a market for everything, just need to get it into the right place!
- Approval and Scheduling
Once your furniture and/or home decor is approved for consignment, we will provide you with a scheduled delivery date or delivery window. It is important to stick to this time frame as we are committing floor space specifically for your furniture. In the event that you are not able to commit to the delivery parameters, please let us know right away so that we can reschedule or adjust accordingly.
Note that all furniture must have a preset appointment before being delivered to our store. If furniture is delivered without an appointment or pre-approval, it is subject to space availability and inspection.
Check in at the Consignment Desk on the day of your appointment to create an inventory list and pull around to our back door to unload. Furniture deliveries will likely be directed to unload through the double doors in the front of the store. Fill out the Consignment Inventory List to expedite the processing time.
You approved my furniture, how do I get it to your store?
We highly recommend that you use a professional mover to safely deliver your furniture and set up your items on our sales floor.
However, if you prefer to bring in the items yourself, the set up, assembly and placement of the furniture on the sales floor is your responsibility as the consignor.
Due to insurance restrictions, we are unable to assist in unloading items from the car or moving them into the store. We always recommend bringing adequate help!
We are happy to help you coordinate arrangements for pickup and delivery by a professional, bonded and insured moving company.
American Delivery Express: 614-519-5804
Integrity Moving & Storage: 614-484-0049
* Contact us for solutions on small item moves.
How will you price my furniture? Can I set the price?
It is very important to disclose as much information as possible about your furniture during the consignment request process. Pricing varies, based on the brand, style, condition, age, current retail value and market demand of an item. Condition is by far one of the most important criteria for pricing. Additional information such as how much you originally paid for the furniture and where it was purchased from is also helpful in setting a benchmark.
We have a solid understanding of the resale market, and our historical database provides excellent insight into what customers in our market are willing to pay. Upon request, we will provide a range that similar items have sold for, however, until we have the opportunity to inspect the furniture first hand, pricing is not guaranteed. Final pricing is at our discretion.
Will my items be marked down? Do you negotiate prices?
We have established a strategic pricing structure to sell inventory throughout the consignment period. The prices are progressively reduced by 10% every 25 days.
The automatic markdowns are displayed on our price tags and fully disclosed to the buyer. The date and price that the item will be reduced is clearly stated on the price tags, therefore, we do not negotiate prices within the consignment period. Our tags do the negotiating and give buyers the option to “buy it now” or take a chance that it may still be available at a later date. The majority of our furniture sells within a 30 – 45 day time period.
As part of our marketing strategy, we will occasionally run flash sales during the year to move inventory.
What if I change my mind and want my item back?
Any removal requests made during the first 45 days of this contract will be subject to a handling charge calculated at 30% of the original selling price, due in full at the point of removal.
How do I know if my item has sold?
When your consignment account is created, you will be given access to your own online account through our Consignor Center login portal. You can monitor this online account 24/7 to check your account balance and open items. Any item entered in our online inventory may be viewed while still available. All other items are posted once the item is sold.
Trading Places will NOT call or email you when your furniture sells. Please actively monitor your online account to determine when you have funds payable. You many also contact the store directly to see if your furniture has sold. There is also an app available to download to monitor your account through your mobile device.
- Go to: Consignor Center on the Home page
- Click on: Consignor Login
- Enter your email address as your user name and password.
- Click on: Transaction History
What is the commission for this service?
When your item sells, you receive 50% of the final selling price of your furniture or accessories. We are partners in this process; we don’t get paid unless you get paid!
When do I get paid?
Once an item has been sold, money goes directly into your consignor account. This money can be used as store credit at any time. Checks are issued on a monthly basis for items that have been sold in the previous month with account balances over $25. Checks are available to pickup in our store after the 15th of the month.
Please monitor your online account on a regular basis. We do not call to notify you that items have sold, funds are available for payout or checks are ready for pickup. We do not automatically mail checks, however, if this is a requirement due to out of town/state moves, please indicate this on your paperwork so that we can set up your account accordingly.
What happens if my item doesn’t sell?
Our primary goal is to sell your items within the 120 day consignment period. We request that you mark your calendar with the end date of your consignment period and actively monitor your account. Due to the sheer volume of inventory in our store, we do not contact you when your items are due to expire.
If furniture is unsold at the end of 120 days and you would like to reclaim it, you must make arrangements to do so. Most consignors elect to donate unsold items to deserving charities or agree to “clearance” the items for quick sale. However, if you wish to retrieve any unsold furniture, you must do so within 5 days of the expiration date of your consignment period. In the event that these items are not picked up, they will be donated to a local charity or liquidated at the discretion of Trading Places.
Furniture donations are made to The Furniture Bank of Central Ohio and to Habitat for Humanity. If you would like a receipt for tax purposes, please send us a request via email to consign@TradingPlacesOH.com.